Vegan banana bread
- 2 Hours + Cooling
- Serves 8
Oat milk, tahini and super-ripe bananas keep this egg-free, dairy-free banana bread moist and moreish.
Freddie Janssen of London restaurant Snackbar says…“We like to serve our banana bread toasted with a slab of butter and some Maldon salt, which un-vegans it but it tastes great as is, or vegan butter would work, too.”
If you can’t find dark tahini, regular tahini will do.
- oat milk 240ml
- apple cider vinegar 2 tsp
- vanilla extract 1 tsp
- soft dark brown sugar 200g
- soft light brown sugar 140g
- banana 500g very ripe, mashed
- dark tahini 130g
- sunflower oil 3 tbsp
- wholemeal flour 250g
- fine sea salt 1 tsp
- baking powder 2 tsp
- bicarbonate of soda 1 tsp
- black and white sesame seeds for sprinkling
- butter to serve (optional)
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and line a 900g loaf tin with baking paper.
- STEP 2Whisk together the oat milk and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the vanilla, sugars, bananas, tahini and sunflower oil, and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and bicarb.
- STEP 3Fold the wet ingredients through the dry ingredients very gently, taking care not to over-mix, until there are no lumps of flour left. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and top with the sesame seeds. Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the oven down to 150C/fan 130C/ gas 2 and bake for 1 hour. Remove and cool in the tin for 10 minutes, before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- STEP 4Heat the grill to high and cut the bread into thick slices. Grill for 1 minute until toasting, then finish with a slab of butter, if you like.
Special thanks to olivemagazine.com, livshealthylife.weebly.com and to you for reading…